I really like the combination of citrus and nuts… so I decided to combine my two favourite flavours into a crisp, crumbly cookie recipe for my gluten-free followers… Walnuts are heart healthy and orange peel adds a sweet, refreshing complement to the biscuit.
My recipe yields about 20 cookies, ratios can be doubled if you so wish… I neither judge nor blame you, because these are really very good and you DONT NEED TO CHILL THE DOUGH! WOO!! I experimented with this recipe idea for the first time today and served them at tea time to enjoy with some old friends. Cookies and catch-up are always a good combination… so without further ado I shall supply you with the necessary information!
You will need:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup good quality soft brown sugar
1/2 cup Dove’s Farm Gluten Free White Flour Mix or any other gluten free flour you use in baking… (I haven’t perfected my own mixture of flours yet so unfortunately this recipe has xanthan gum in it… but watch this space!)
1/3 cup candied orange peel (or even mixed peel!)
1/2 cup crushed walnuts (I crushed up about a cup of walnut halves relatively finely with a rolling pin in a sandwich bag!)
1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp icing sugar for dusting
– Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4 and begin crushing your walnuts in a sandwich bag!
– Cream butter and sugar till the colour has turned a little lighter and it’s beautifully smooth.
– Add in baking powder, flour candied orange peel, mixed spice and crushed walnuts and bring together in a dough.
– Using a teaspoon, form into balls and flatten on a greased baking tray.
– Bake in the oven for 18 minutes until light golden. Cool for 5 minutes and dust with a little icing sugar in time for your guests to arrive! 🙂